Puente Press Release
For Immediate Release
Salvador Reza 602 446-9928
Sylvia Herrera 602) 575-8829
Puente Movement Human Rights Caravan Joins March 21st Mobilization to Washington D.C.
On March 6, 2010 The Puente Movement will depart Phoenix Arizona and embark on a three week journey to ALERT communities of the Human Rights Crisis that awaits all of us if criminalization of working families continues. We will visit small and big cities along the route including Silver City, New Mexico, El Paso, San Antonio, Austin, Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta, Raleigh, and others. On March 13 we will join Congressman Luis Gutierrez in Houston for a massive rally prior to the grand mobilization in Washington D.C. We will culminate our three week Caravan on March 21st 2010 massive march in Washington D.C.
Phoenix Arizona is the Hate and Racial Profiling, capital of the world today. We know what awaits the rest of the communities in the United States if criminalization of families and workers goes unchecked. Our message will be to alert and also call on students, churches, labor, indigenous nations and community organizations to join our demands to:
- Eradicate ethnic cleansing and criminalization of migrant communities in the name of “secure communities.”
- An end to family separation and government sponsored terror in our communities through local police cooperation with I.C.E.
- The passage of comprehensive immigration reform legislation that provides human rights, legal status, labor protection and political equality to all migrants..
- A restoration of Human Rights to all as specified in the United Nations Declaration on Human Rights and the Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Restoration to constitutional protections and due process for all people as specified in the UN Human Rights Declaration.
- An end to I.C.E. local police collaboration through the controversial 287(g) program, the so called "Secure Communities" initiative, and other measures that spread racial profiling and civil rights abuses across the nation.
Tonatierra Community Dev. Institute
802 N. 7th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85006